Development of education system in Ghana
|Ghana - Independent Ghana|
Great progress was registered by the government in extending the systems of medical service and education. In 1958, 115,000 pupils were enrolled in the first form of the elementary school and in 1961, 219,000. In 1961 alone, 2,493 new elementary and 374 secondary schools were opened. Compulsory free elementary education was introduced in Ghana in September 1961. Much was done to eradicate illiteracy among adults. Attention was concentrated on developing higher education and training national personnel. The department of London University in Legon was transformed into the State University of Ghana in 1961; in the same year a second university with technological specialisation was opened in Kumasi on the basis of the former Technological College. A university college was opened in Cape Coast in December 1962. Many young people were sent to foreign countries to get a higher education and special training, specifically to Soviet universities and institutes. To promote scientific studies a National Research Council was set up in 1958, and it was reorganised into the Academy of Sciences early in 1963.
Much organisational work was done in developing national culture. Efua Sutherland, well-known poetess, founded the first dramatic studio. The first Ghanaian musical comedy, Obadzeng, was presented in 1960 under the directorship of Saka Akwaye. Unions of writers, journalists and other cultural workers were set up. The first issue of Okyeame, magazine of the Writers' Union, was published in 1960. A national film industry came into being. A state committee for the unification of the written language of tribal dialects was set up. In September 1962, Parliament adopted a law abolishing the custom of scarring the face with tribal marks.
|< Prev||Next >|